My daughters and I sat down and made a list of possible activities to fill our long summer days with fun. They said the local pool, and parks, and playing with friends. Great.
And then my daughter said chalk.
I am not the biggest fan of sidewalk chalk. Sure it's fun, but it leaves them (and their clothes) full of powder that they inevitably bring into the house.
So they had their list, and I had my mission: Find an alternative to traditional chalk that my girls could use this summer.
After some trial and error, we created a chalk paint that creates sidewalk masterpieces, while keeping hands and clothing clean. MAJOR. WIN.
What you need:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- A squeeze of dish soap
- 6-7 drops of washable paint or food coloring to give the paint color
- Mixing bowl
- Something to store the chalk paint in (we used squirt bottles, but you could store it in a jar and use a paintbrush, or put it in a spray bottle and spray for some abstract chalk art!)
- Mix the water and flour together in a bowl.
- Add a squeeze of dish soap to the mixture. Continue to stir.
- Add the coloring until you reach the color you'd like your sidewalk paint to be.
- Transfer the paint to your container.
- Repeat again with a different color to make as many different chalk paints as you'd like.
- Create your sidewalk masterpiece!
Pro tip: Washable paint comes off a little easier than food coloring. If you are using food coloring, wash the design off before it completely dries to ensure it does not leave a mark.
Have fun in the sun this summer with your new chalk paints! Simply use water to wash away your designs.
We'd love to see your works of art! Be sure to tag us with @macaronikid on social media so we can see your masterpieces this summer!
Renae Gonzalez is the publisher of Macaroni Kid Brentwood, Calif.
LIKE THIS ARTICLE: Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter! Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is full of useful local information like this PLUS tons of kid-friendly events on our event calendar. Have an event you'd like submitted to our calendar for consideration? Submit an event here. Like what you see here and want to get all the fun delivered to your inbox weekly? Subscribe to our FREE weekly e-newsletter for 411 on the local family fun. You can find Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.