Hey moms! This month, we created a decadent croissant casserole that can be put together the night before and thrown in the oven the morning of Mother's Day -- so be sure to share this recipe with the hubs or kiddos!
Listen mama bear, you deserve a decadent breakfast -- and you will really enjoy this rich and delicious dish on your special day. Plus it's easy enough for your kids to take the lead in making!
We love this casserole because you can add all of your favorite ingredients to the basic recipe.
Not sure what other ingredients to add?
Don't worry, we compiled a list of scrumptious ideas for you because you have other things to do on Mother's Day -- like laying in bed binging on Netflix, letting the dishes pile in the sink, forgetting about the laundry towers in the corners, and working on getting a belly full of yummy EATS!
Happy Mother's Day from one mama bear to another -- enjoy!
- 3 large croissants or 6 small, torn into pieces
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup of your favorite shredded cheese (we used Monterey Jack)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup chopped chives or green onions
- Spray an 8- or 9-inch baking dish or large cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Layer torn croissants and shredded cheese in the dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk half and half, chives, and eggs. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour egg mixture over croissants and cheese, making sure to press down on any pieces to moisten through.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, heat oven to 325°F. Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake another 25 to 30 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Add or substitute some of these other ingredient combinations to make it your favorite:
- Shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup of chopped cooked bacon, and 1/2 chopped green onions.
- Shredded Swiss cheese and 1 cup of diced ham.
- Shredded mozzarella, 1 cup of cooked crumbled sausage, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes.
- Cubed cream cheese, 1/2 cup chopped smoked salmon, 2 tablespoons capers, 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion.
- Shredded taco cheese, 1 cup cooked ground beef, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, handful chopped cilantro.
- Shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup cooked ground beef, 1/2 cup diced pickles, 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, a handful of torn basil.
This story originally appeared in Macaroni Kid EATS. Subscribe today to Macaroni Kid EATS! to receive free family-friendly recipes right in your inbox once a month!
LIKE THIS ARTICLE: Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter! Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is full of useful local information like this PLUS tons of kid-friendly events on our event calendar. Have an event you'd like submitted to our calendar for consideration? Submit an event here. Like what you see here and want to get all the fun delivered to your inbox weekly? Subscribe to our FREE weekly e-newsletter for 411 on the local family fun. You can find Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.