April 22 is Earth Day. Celebrated worldwide, it is a day all about protecting our environment. Some areas even celebrate the whole week leading up to Earth Day! Check your Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid calendar to find Earth Day/Week events near you. And remember, you can celebrate Earth Day EVERY day by doing just a few easy things:
- Work on ways to reduce food waste, including meal planning, storing items properly, finding new ways to use leftovers, and preserving food you can’t use fast enough by freezing, canning, or dehydrating.
- Turn off lights when you leave a room and shut off water when you’re not using it.
- Buy dry goods in bulk since it typically uses less packaging.
- Start seeds and map out your family’s garden, or sign up for a CSA to cut down on the carbon footprint of your grocery bill.
- Review which recyclables your local facility accepts, since they may add to their list periodically.
- Take a walk/hike and enjoy being in nature. Bring a pair of gloves and a bag so you can pick up any trash you find along the way.
- Start a compost bin to use in your garden and flowerbeds.
- Make or buy a rain barrel and use the water you collect to water your plants.
- Learn about invasive species in your area and what you can do to help.
- Find out what your school currently recycles and if there is anything else you can add.
- Talk with your school about alternative recycling programs that accept snack bar wrappers, juice pouches and even offer fundraising options.
Need more ideas? Visit these websites:
LIKE THIS ARTICLE: Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter! Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is full of useful local information like this PLUS tons of kid-friendly events on our event calendar. Have an event you'd like submitted to our calendar for consideration? Submit an event here. Like what you see here and want to get all the fun delivered to your inbox weekly? Subscribe to our FREE weekly e-newsletter for 411 on the local family fun. You can find Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.