At the Georgia Renaissance Festival, you’ll find A Whole Lotta Fun…And a Little Bit of History! The Festival runs 8 spectacular weekends from October 10th through November 22nd Saturdays and Sundays. Each weekend features something uniquely special to enhance the enjoyment of all who enter the gates of this 32-acre English Village stepping back in time to the 16th Century.
In 1986 the Georgia Renaissance Festival opened the Village Gates for the first time on 20 acres just a few miles from its current location. In 1997 the Festival secured a much larger piece of property on Highway 74 on the west side of I-85 at the Fairburn/Peachtree City exit.
The Front Gate Castle was built with a large balcony where the Queen perches high above the crowds welcoming over 200,000 people each year. Once inside the gates, patrons can feast like Royalty on giant smoked turkey legs, frothy ales and other fine fares from the pubs and eateries sprinkled around the Village. Entertainment for all ages is abundant with over 150 shows each day performed on 10 stages. Everything from circus-style acrobatics, comedy and improv, music, dance and the main event, The Joust – It’s a full day of endless entertainment for all ages.
The Village is home to over 150 arts and crafts merchants, demonstrating artisans providing one-of-a-kind treasures from Renaissance clothing, hand-blown glass art, jewelry, pottery, paintings, weaving, leather-crafting, stained glass artistry and more. This Renaissance art fair is a shop ‘til you drop collectors dream.
What to Expect?
- Equus Maximus: The Extreme Joust: You'll be on the edge of your seat as noble knights in shining armor battle and compete with lance and sword, crossbow and chariot! This epic show is filled with thrilling stunts, trick riding, and over twelve tons of equine fury!
- The Wheel of Death: This 30-foot tall, spinning monstrosity is Icabod Wainwright’s personal playground. His death-defying antics and skill will thrill and amuse you as he performs inside and outside of this giant medieval “hamster wheel”. You have to see it to believe it! You’re guaranteed to have sweaty palms while watching this show!
- Giving Tree Drums: Everyone will experience the magic and discover how much fun they can have as they make music with those around them. Giving Tree Drum Circle is a completely interactive, fun and truly an inclusive activity for people of all backgrounds.
- Blades of Death: Ichabod Wainright is pushing the limits - again! Watch as he hurls blades of sharpened steel toward his lovely assistant Samantha Stage wonder while balancing on a slack rope! What?!
- Squire of the Wire: This hilarious show for adults (and kids) features original comedy, outrageous stunts, fire and knives, and the world's only kilted over the audience kilted tight wire walker.
- Dynamo Dogs: Lady Gail Mirabella and her canine counterparts, the Dynamo Dogs, present a high-energy, fast-paced and exciting show for your amazement and enjoyment. Working as a team, these remarkable pups demonstrate their agility and acrobatic skills - You won't want to miss the Dynamo Dogs in action!
- Geoff Marsh Fire Circus: Children of all ages will be mesmerized by Geoff as he balances, juggles, and creates feats of wonder - and did we mention fire?! Geoff is an accomplished magician, clown, mime, juggler, and fire manipulator and we promise you will leave his show with a smile on your face!
- The Harper and the Minstrel: The Harper and The Minstrel specialize in beautiful Ayres and Ballads, but are quite adept at Jigs, Reels & Dances. Their vast repertoire includes unique arrangements of music ranging from the 13th Century Spanish Cantigas de Santa Maria to the music of English lutenist John Dowland to Ireland's harper Turlough O'Carolan to their own enchanting compositions.
- Dancing Hammers: Robert Burns and Victoria Van Arnam combine their passions for hammered dulcimer, eclectic music, and education into a dynamic concert experience.
- Premium Joust Seating: Faire goers can upgrade to VIP Seating INSIDE the Joust Arena on the Royal Reviewing Stand in shaded and cushioned seating with the Queen and her Court. After the Joust these VIPs are treated to a meet ‘n greet with the Knights, a photo opportunity that will last a lifetime.
- The Tortuga Twins: An annual favorite – This audience-interactive comedy show will have you screaming with laughter.
- Barely Balanced Acrobatic Daredevils: They’re back, diving through fire, hurling machetes, and testing the limits of natural selection! Don’t miss seeing your favorite acrobats endanger their lives in this hilarious, award-winning show. The day starts with their “Sharp Knives and Stupid Humans Extravaganza” and ends with the incredible “Fire Finale.” Come laugh, cheer, and become a part of the action!
- Hypnotist Rick Stratton: A certified hypnotherapist, stage hypnotist, and comedian, Rick Stratton has been traveling the United States for years making people laugh while performing his comedy hypnosis show. You’ll be filled with side-splitting laughter at the antics of the audience volunteers under his hypnotic spell.
- Hey Nunnie, Nunnie: This sister act will have you rolling in the pews. The unconventional Mother Redempta and the mischievous ukulele wielding Sister Philomena Claire dazzle with comedic escapades – Cracking jokes, singing songs, and “counseling” unsuspecting audience members. These silly sisters could make the Pope laugh!
- The Washing Well Wenches: They're wet! They're wacky! And they want your laundry! The Washing Well Wenches bring us "good, clean fun and wet, dirty women"!
- The Ded Bob Sho: We’re not really sure when Ded Bob passed, but he keeps showing up every year at the Festival with his unique brand of graveside humor. Warning: Sitting in the front row may get you “Bob-mo-tized!”
- Birds of Prey Falconry Exhibition: You’ll be astounded as the spectacular hawks, eagles, owls, and vultures demonstrate their free-flight skills directly over the heads of the audience! They are amazing creatures in an amazing show.
- Cu Dubh: The sounds of ancient thundering war drums and skirling bagpipes like you’ve never heard before. Cu Dubh presents tribal warrior music at its best. Be you Viking, Druid, Celt, Mongol or Moor, these ringing harmonies, and pounding rhythms will bring forth the ancient spirits and set loose the wolf once again!
- Shenanigans: The Shenanigans are a musical trio hailing from the fair shores of Eire, bringing with them fun-filled music and almost-funny jokes.
- Parrots of the Caribbean: Colorful and chatty parrots are the stars of this free-flight aviary! Get up close and personal with these beautiful exotic birds. It's a tropical adventure!
- Landloch’d: If Celtic music with a twist is what you seek, you’ll enjoy this unlikely duo. One from the highlands of Scotland, and the other from the Moor-infested lands of Spain – these two have come together to share their love of Celtic and Pirate music with the masses.
2020 Themed Weekends
- October 10
- October 11
- October 17
- October 18
- October 24
- October 25
- October 31
- November 1
- November 7
- November 8
- November 14
- November 15
- November 21
- November 22
Purchase tickets at the Gate: Adults: $23.95, Children (6-12): $11.95 *Children 5 and under are always free. - Discount Tickets Online at GArenfest.com Adult $19.95 / Child $9.95
*Available Online and at the Festival Gate. Cannot be combined with any other offer.
**Family discounted tickets must be purchased together when a military discount is given. Available at the Festival Box Office ONLY!
The Georgia Renaissance Festival is located at 6905 Virlyn B. Smith Road Fairburn, GA 30213.
LIKE THIS ARTICLE: Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter! Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is full of useful local information like this PLUS tons of kid-friendly events on our event calendar. Have an event you'd like submitted to our calendar for consideration? Submit an event here. Like what you see here and want to get all the fun delivered to your inbox weekly? Subscribe to our FREE weekly e-newsletter for 411 on the local family fun. You can find Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.