Potato salad is one of those "must-have" dishes at summer picnics and family get-togethers. As much as I love potato salad though, I hate the time it takes to make it! There are so many steps just for preparing the potatoes alone: peeling, boiling, waiting for them to cool, and then -- finally! -- dicing them.
But I don't like store-bought potato salad either! So when I saw canned diced potatoes on my grocery store's shelf, I decided to put aside my presumptive feelings of potatoes in a can, and give them a try.
It turns out potatoes in a can is the perfect answer to a quick and easy potato salad. Simply substitute the canned diced potatoes for freshly cooked ones -- no one will know the difference ... and you'll have saved yourself an hour in the kitchen!
Here's how to make a delicious homemade potato salad in 10 minutes or less. (This is also a great recipe for kids to help with because it's so fast and easy!)
What you'll need:
|* If you need to boil eggs, this recipe will take longer. But hard-boiled eggs last in the fridge for about a week so you can prepare ahead of time. You can also find hard boiled eggs in the grocery store!|
1. Drain and rinse the canned potatoes, pat them dry with a paper towel. Put them in a large bowl.
2. Peel and chop the hard boiled eggs and add them to the bowl of potatoes.
3. Add the chopped onions and mayonnaise to the potatoes and eggs and mix until the potatoes, eggs, and onions are well-coated. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Sprinkle with paprika for a more "finished" look.
- Add peppers (green, red, orange yellow), celery and/or pickles in addition to, or instead of, onions.
- Use a combination of mayonnaise and mustard in place of mayonnaise alone.
- Use 3 parts greek yogurt and 1 part mayonnaise for a healthier potato salad.
- Add a protein (cubed chicken, flaked tuna, crumbled bacon).
By stocking canned diced potatoes and keeping hard boiled eggs and pre-chopped onions in my fridge during the summer, my kids and I can whip together this easy and delicious potato salad in just a few minutes, making it the perfect go-to dish for a gathering!
LIKE THIS ARTICLE: Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter! Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is full of useful local information like this PLUS tons of kid-friendly events on our event calendar. Have an event you'd like submitted to our calendar for consideration? Submit an event here. Like what you see here and want to get all the fun delivered to your inbox weekly? Subscribe to our FREE weekly e-newsletter for 411 on the local family fun. You can find Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.