Because of the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, its effect on logistical planning and the continuation of social distancing recommendations, Chamblee Parks and Recreation Department has made the difficult decision to cancel Camp Chamblee, the city’s summer day camp program.
“Our commitment to the health and safety of our summer camp participants, of our community, and of our staff is paramount and has guided us in making this decision,” said Parks and Recreation Director, Jodie Gilfillan. “We truly enjoy running Camp Chamblee and know how much the community values this program. However, due to limited indoor space, use of shared equipment and the level of close interactions required to operate camp, we do not feel that we can meet the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for childcare programs during the COVID-19 health crisis.”
Camp Chamblee is a Summer Day Camp for kids ages 6 – 12 hosted by the Chamblee Parks and Recreation Department every Summer for both Chamblee residents and non-residents. The philosophy of Camp Chamblee is to provide each child with opportunities that are both educational and fun in a safe, structured learning environment. The objective of this program is to provide supervised recreational activities for the children participating in our program.
Camp Chamblee is held at the Keswick Community Building and is offered Monday – Friday from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm, with activities occurring between 9:30 am and 4:00 pm. Activities include playing outside, learning about and playing sports like basketball, soccer, and kickball, arts and crafts, swimming, and going on field trips every Wednesday.
This program will provide wholesome, supervised leisure activities for its participants. In order to achieve this objective, the following must be provided:
- A safe place physically and morally for campers
- A varied and well-balanced program with activities that should contribute to health and character
- Opportunities for learning new skills and improving old skills under capable leadership, and instruction where a child’s performance is not rated or criticized
- Equal recreational opportunities for ALL girls and boys
- Opportunities to accept responsibilities as a member of a social group
- Instruction and experience in the concept of team play
- Guidance in fair play and sportsmanship to develop proper attitudes Opportunities for children to feel valued by staff
The cost is $120 for Chamblee residents and $150 for non-residents per week, $20 of which is a deposit to hold your spot per week.
Session dates and field trips are as follows: There is no camp the week of July 4th.
- Week 1- Wednesday, June 3rd: Bowlmor
- Week 2- Wednesday, June 10th: SkyZone
- Week 3- Wednesday, June 17th: Stone Mountain Park
- Week 4- Wednesday, June 24th: Fun Spot America
- Week 5- Wednesday, July 8th: Zoo Atlanta
- Week 6- Wednesday, July 15th: TBA
- Week 7- Wednesday, July 22nd: Margaritaville at Lanier Islands
- Week 8- Friday, July 31st: End of Summer Party
Camp takes place at the Keswick Park Community Building at 3496 Keswick Drive.
For more information and to register, please visit www.chambleerec.com or come in person to 5468 Peachtree Road, Chamblee, GA 30341 or call 770-986-5016.
This article is sponsored by Camp Chamblee.
LIKE THIS ARTICLE: Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter! Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is full of useful local information like this PLUS tons of kid-friendly events on our event calendar. Have an event you'd like submitted to our calendar for consideration? Submit an event here. Like what you see here and want to get all the fun delivered to your inbox weekly? Subscribe to our FREE weekly e-newsletter for 411 on the local family fun. You can find Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.