Since the Chamblee has canceled its beloved fireworks celebration and show due to the COVID-19 pandemic, people may turn to at-home fireworks. If fireworks are legal where you live and you decide to use them, be sure to follow these important safety tips:
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks.
- Older children should use fireworks only under close adult supervision.
- Light fireworks outdoors in a clear area away from onlookers, houses and flammable materials.
- Light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting.
- Do not allow any running or horseplay around fireworks.
- Never ignite devices in a container.
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks; douse and soak them with water and discard them safely.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to extinguish fireworks that do not go off, or in case of fire.
- Keeping your hot dog cool
- Do not bring your animal near fireworks.
- If you know that your pet will suffer from severe anxiety caused by the loud noise of fireworks, talk to your vet about giving your pet a mild tranquilizer.
- If your pet behaves nervously, distract it by playing with him or doing something he enjoys. Do not stroke, pet or reassure him by saying, "Don't worry. It's okay." This may actually reinforce your pet's anxious behavior.
- Make sure your pet always wears an appropriately fitted collar (you should be able to slip no more than two fingers beneath your dog's collar; your cat should be wearing a stretch or safety collar) and an identification tag with your current phone number and address.
Following is Chamblee’s Fireworks/Noise Complaint Ordinance information:
Georgia Code 25-10-2 prohibits fireworks use “within the right of way of a public road, street, highway or railroad of this state.”
The following is when fireworks may be used:
Georgia Code 25-10-2
- Approved fireworks may be used any day of the week between the hours of 10:00 am to 9:00 pm.
- The City of Chamblee has not passed an ordinance extending the use beyond 9:00 pm except for the four (4) days permitted by state law.
- An exception is allowed for the following holidays: approved fireworks may be used on July 3rd & 4th between the hours of 9:00 pm to 11:59 pm and on Dec 31 between the hours 9:00 pm and 1:00 am (Jan. 1).
- “Chamblee’s ordinance considers noise in excess of 70 decibels 7:00 am-11:00 pm and 60 decibels 11:00 pm to 7:00 am a nuisance = Fireworks produce sound output in the 150 to 175-decibel range.”
City Code Section 310-40. - Sound level limitations
- No person shall cause, suffer, allow or permit the operation of any sound source to create a sound level that exceeds the sound level limits set forth in the Sound Level Limits by Receiving Property Table. Such a sound source would constitute a noise disturbance.
Sound Level Limits by Receiving Property Table