The Sandy Springs Fire Department wants to keep everyone safe this holiday season by offering the following advice.
- Cooking fires are the number one cause of fires. Do not leave food cooking unattended.
- Do not leave candles burning unattended.
- When hanging holiday lights, look for the UL label and only use extension cords temporarily - don't use them under carpet or where they can become a tripping hazard.
- Keep "live" Christmas trees well-watered - certain varieties are more drought-resistant like Fraser firs. Keep trees away from heat sources like fireplaces.
- Make sure fireplaces are clean, use good quality hardwoods like oak, use a screen to prevent ashes and embers from flying out, and never use them to burn trash.
- Fire pits have become very popular with people gathering outside during COVID. If you have one, make sure to place it a safe distance from wood decks, pine straw, and leaves. Have a fire extinguisher nearby to play it safe. Watch for weather conditions. Wind can carry embers into flammable areas.
- Last but not least, make sure your smoke alarms are working!
The Sandy Springs Fire Department Headquarters is located at 1 Galambos Way, Sandy Springs, Georgia 30328 and can be reached at 770-730-5600.
- Fire Station 51 is located at 1425 Spalding Dr, GA 30350.
- Fire Station 52 is located at 135 Johnson Ferry Road, GA 30328.
- Fire Station 53 is located at 6025 Raider Drive, Sandy Springs, Georgia 30328.
- Fire Station 54 (Also provides Automatic Aid to the City of Atlanta) is located at 4697 Wieuca Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30342.
For Emergency Service Dial 911, 24 Hours a Day.
LIKE THIS ARTICLE: Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter! Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is full of useful local information like this PLUS tons of kid-friendly events on our event calendar. Have an event you'd like submitted to our calendar for consideration? Submit an event here. Like what you see here and want to get all the fun delivered to your inbox weekly? Subscribe to our FREE weekly e-newsletter for 411 on the local family fun. You can find Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.