- All of our brains work differently, because kids with Autism may not learn it the same way does not mean they can't do it.
- You may not know by looking at a child that they have Autism. There is not "one look".
- Many kids with Autism are concrete thinkers. Saying to our son "if you eat all those french fries you will turn into a potato" is confusing. He thinks he will and does not understand why or how.
- Language is tough for many kids with Autism, some do not speak at all, and many use their hands or even iPads to help them communicate.
- Autistic kids can be really good at some things! Our son loves video games, another friend's son loves to play tag. There can be a common bond, try to find it and see that YOU can be a friend.
- Many kids with Autism may not look at you when you talk but they hear you. Be patient, our kids want to be your friend.
- It is easy to walk away and think, "that kid is weird." Be the one that wants to make a difference. We ALL do weird things. Look around at your "typical" friends - they have quirky things too.
- If everyone is not laughing, it may not be funny, don't laugh AT, laugh with!
- With acceptance comes some peace, as special needs parents we truly are on a journey with no real answers.
Great articles about Autism. Autistic Children and Their Families with New COVID-19 Resources, Halloween & Autism Tips and Advice, Living With Autism: When A Sibling Leaves for College, FireWorks and Autism, Friendship with Autism, Tips for the Holidays & Children, Holiday Letter “From” A Child With Autism, Georgia Aquarium Designated as a Certified Autism Center, Qualities I Wish I Did, Autism Awareness Month, New Diagnosis
LIKE THIS ARTICLE: Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, Atlanta, and Perimeter! Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid is full of useful local information like this PLUS tons of kid-friendly events on our event calendar. Have an event you'd like submitted to our calendar for consideration? Submit an event here. Like what you see here and want to get all the fun delivered to your inbox weekly? Subscribe to our FREE weekly e-newsletter for 411 on the local family fun. You can find Sandy Springs Dunwoody Macaroni Kid on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.